About the Recipe
Mascarpone can be used in many variations!
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
½ cup whole milk
¼ cup sugar
5 ounces whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup bread flour
1 tablespoon salt
¼ cup butter, softened
20 ounces Crave Brothers Farmstead Mascarpone Cheese, softened
¼ cup poppy seeds
¼ cup toasted sesame seeds
1 tablespoon course sea salt
¼ cup dried onion flakes
¼ cup dried garlic flakes
1. In a small bowl, mix together yeast, milk, sugar and whole wheat flour. Cover and rest for 2 hours, or until doubled in size.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add yeast mixture, eggs, all-purpose flour, bread flour and salt. Mix with the dough hook for about 5 minutes, or until the dough forms into a ball and pulls away from the sides. Slowly add butter and 4 ounces of mascarpone. Mix until incorporated. Place dough in an oiled bowl and rest for 2-4 hours, or until doubled in size.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 2 loaf pans or 24 muffin tins.
4. In a small bowl, mix together poppy seeds, sesame seeds, salt, onion and garlic flakes.
5. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Roll into a large rectangle, about ¼ inch thick. Spread with remaining softened mascarpone cheese. Sprinkle with everything spice.
6. Starting with the longest side, roll into a log. Using the loaf pans as a mold, and a serrated knife, cut the log to fit each pan. Cut each portion in half lengthwise, revealing the layers. With the layers facing up, twist the dough around itself into a twist and place into loaf pan. If using muffin tins, cut dough in half lengthwise and then in portions to fit the muffin tin. Fold the dough in half, so the layers are exposed. Place in muffin tins.
7. Proof dough for about an hour.
8. Place in oven and bake for about 30 minutes for muffin and 1 hour for loafs.
9. Remove from oven and cool. Serve with smoked salmon, tomatoes, sliced red onion and cumbers as a side dish.