About the Recipe
Ingredients for Cake
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1-1/4 cup whole pecans
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 cups cubed butter pound cake *from frozen loaf or bakery)
1-1/2 cup cold heavy cream
1 cup (8 ounces) Crave Brothers Mascarpone
3 tablespoons strong cold instant coffee
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup dark chocolate (from bar) slivered
Ingredients for Sauce
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/2 mounded teaspoon instant coffee crystals
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons butter
1. Heat oven to 350 and line a large baking pan with parchment paper.
2. In a 10-inch skillet melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and maple syrup and cook until bubbly, stirring constantly.
3. Add the pecans, cook 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly until coated. Remove from heat and sprinkle with cinnamon, stir and then spread pecans on parchment paper on a sheet. Bake 6-8 minutes or until golden. Set aside to cool.
4. Place cake cubes in a single layer in the lined baking pan. Bake and 350 for 12 minutes or until lightly browned turning the cubes every 4 minutes. Cool completely.
5. In a large bowl, beat cream, mascarpone, and sugar together using an electric mixer until the cream begins to thicken. Slowly add the coffee and vanilla while beating until firm peaks form.
6. To assemble, scatter 1 cup cake croutons over the bottom of the trifle dish, spoon and spread one third of te mascarpone mixture, 1/3 cup chocolate, and 1/3 cup pecans evenly over the top. Refrigerate 1 hour.
7. For the sauce warm the cream in a heavy saucepan over low heat then stir in the coffee crystals until dissolved. Add maple syrup and butter and over medium-high heat bring to bubbly, stirring. Let bubble 1 minute then remove from heat and pour into a small dish. Cool to warm before serving with trifle.